Transportation accident

The following is an except from a recent message about "False Fears Jam
Kennedy"

> "It was transporting approximately 25 empty containers, each marked
> radioactive,
> when it smacked the top of the Hubbard Street bridge, overturned and dumped the
> containers, according to Bob Fleischmann, an official with the Illinois
> Department of Transportation.

The public was right to be fearful.  Radiation markings are to warn
people of potential danger.  If these markings were not removed from
cylinders that had met free release standards, than the D&D company
should be held accountable.  If these were DOT placards that were no
longer valid, the transportation company may even be subject to an
enforcement action.

I see a lot of posts with transportation questions.  RadSafers should be
aware that there are lots of regulations governing transportation of
radioactive materials on public streets and by common carriers.  Consult
with the Dept. of Transportation (DOT) if you have a question.  It's
better to navigate the bureaucracy than end up with a mega fine over a
stupid incident.

One gripe of mine, however, is that with radioactive substances, one
placard covers all situations.  We know that the risks can vary
enormously, depending on the material and quantity.  This is of special
concern to the emergency services who first respond to an accident.
Perhaps this is an area where radiation experts can work with the DOT to
divide the radiation placards into categories, much like what is done
for explosives.

Regards,
Susan Gawarecki
--
Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director
Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee, Inc.