Re: DU vs. Aspartame

I have  seen this and it is unmitigated crap.

Forgive me my discresion, but I have had several students show this to me
and as a biochemist / cancer researcher, these kind of things get to me
because of the unsubstantiated claims.  One of the requirements for the
formaldehyde production is "wood alcohol"  Not a significant component of
our cells.  This is most lekely true but not invivo.  Besides if this were
to happen the aspartame breakdown products would be so unpalletable that no
one could drink it.  Think of the last overdate Diet Coke you drank and
ampliphy it.

There are many other things are also very flawed in the notice going
around.  Not to say the least about the lack of citations for so many
unsubstantiated BS.  Much of this letter centers around a paranoid
collusion / conspiracy theory by government and  chemical companies.  The
trueth might be out there but it is not found in this document.

>I know this may sound a bit weird, but I read a piece by an
>epidemiologist that was claiming a link between GWS and
>Aspartame (sp?) (e.g., Nutrasweet).
>
>Perhaps some of our Gulf War veterans could comment on the
>accuracy of my accounting of the statements made by this
>researcher.....
>
>'Seems that above 120 degrees F (49 C), the Aspartame converts to
>formaldehyde.  This formaldehyde has been found in the brains of
>many lab animals and other research subjects.... and is linked to a
>whole litany of ailments... including the ringing in my ears.
>
>This researcher notes that it was common practice to store crates of
>sodas in the desert sun where they would exceed 120 F.  'Seems like
>'hot sodas' would be a more common mode of exposure than DU.
>
>Has anyone heard similar statements?
>v/r
>Michael
>mford@pantex.com