Re: NAS President's Statement on FOIA, > FOIA

> Final work should be and is, to the best of my knowledge, available,
> and you usually don't need FOIA -- if you want a paper or report of
> mine, just call me up and I'll send you a copy.

Agreed..  In addition, our final and progress reports to the feds are already
available under FOIA.

> I object to the notion that any and all raw and unanalyzed data would
> be available on request and through FOIA.  Maybe the solution is to
> define "data" better in the context of the rule (no not to change
> the dictionary definition...).

And:
- the raw data from a relatively short report could easily run hundreds to
thousands of pages.  Who is going the pay for our time and expenses in
complying with requests?
- the raw data may contain confidential patient information (if the study is
medical or epidemiological)
- the raw data may contain information that has not yet been published

Just think of the harassment potential of this rule.  You could shut down any
lab or investigator...

John Moulder (jmoulder@its.mcw.edu)