Re: Just what is SAFE?

Another point to keep in mind is that as regulations have continued
to tighten and, at least in the DOE labs, we have become more and
more procedure orientated (SOPs, RWPs, SWPs, and the latest Hazard
Control Plans (HCPs)), "workers" have developed the attitude that
if they comply with the procedure they will be safe.  But as someone
phrased it to me recently, procedures only protect the worker from
accidents that have already happened.  DOE training is now centered
around procedural compliance when it should emphasize understanding
of the hazards or lack thereof, such as low level radiation. In this
manner workers can learn to be safe rather than learn to follow a
procedure.

Mike Baker

Michael C. Baker, Ph.D., P.E.
Radioassay and Nondestructive Testing Team
Environmental Science and Waste Technology Group
Mail Stop J594, Los Alamos National Laboratory
P.O. Box 1663, Los Alamos, NM 87545 (USA)

email:  mcbaker@lanl.gov

Phone: (505) 667-7334        Fax: (505) 665-8346