Re: Just what is SAFE?

I firmly agree that the overemphasis on radiation "injury" is not rational
from the point of view of protecting occupational health; but it does,
unfortunately, make sense from the point of view of successfully managing a
nuclear facility.  Consider this:  Nuclear facilities have had fatalities
due
to industrial accidents.  While unfortunate, these have not generated any
significant public outcry or regulatory hassles.  Now, imagine that one of
these fatalities had been due to radiation exposure.  The whole industry
would
probably be shut down. (BTW, this is the equivalent of grounding every
commercial airplane because of one crash.)  Even for events far short of a
fatality, the regulatory sanctions and public relations problems are far
greater for a radiation overexposure than for a serious industrial accident.

This is the "real world."  (Which everyone tells me I haven't found, yet.)

There seem to be multiple reasons for this, only some of which are due to
our
professional actions.  Part of this is the unknown nature of radiation to
most
people.  Also, the first time radiation became a significant issue is with
nuclear weapons.  (Imagine what would have happened if the electric chair
had
been invented before the electric light bulb.  As a matter of fact, in the
protracted battle between Edison and Westinghouse over whether DC or AC
would
become the national standard, Edison used the electric chair as an example
of
the unsafe nature of AC.)  Unfortunately, this has been aided and abetted by
early hp's.  Go back to the "good old days."  Remember "electricity too
cheap
to meter."  In the days when most nuclear facilities were either government
run or government subsidized, there was plenty of money available for hp.
Why
not set the standards at an extremely conservative level,and protect
everyone
against even hypothetical risks?  There was money available, and the public
supported this.  Now that the nuclear industry must compete with other
technologies, we're stuck with these standards, which will be difficult to
change.  Remember what happened with deminimis?

I'll get down off my soapbox; have a great weekend, everyone!

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com