Re: Just what is SAFE?

At 08:08 11.02.1999 -0600, you wrote:
>If you want to get a good feel for the absurd lengths that we have
>gone to in PROTECTING people from radiation/rad. materials...
>compare the monies spent in implementing OSHA (occupational
>safety) regulations and RadCon regs  AND THEN compare the
>incidence and severity of injuries that occur in both areas.
>
>Sure radiological injuries do occur --- predominantly in the
>industrial radiography and medical fields --- but they pale in
>comparison to the sheer volume of occupational injuries that occur
>weekly throughout the U.S. and the world.

You brought it to the point. I want to add one more point, which is so
difficult to understand for me: "Everybody" at least in Europe is scared to
death by the  p o s s i b i l i t y  that a nuclear accident may occur and
that people would be "irradiated" and papers are full with these scenarios.
But when  r e a l  accidents occur, where people really suffer from
radiation and even are killed, then our media either do not even report it
or you find a short notice on page 37 in the newspapers. This is true for
Goiana, for the recent event in Turkey, the molten Co-60 source from
Mexico, the accidents in irradiation facilities and industrial radiography,
the Estonian accident.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schönhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria