Just what is SAFE?

If you want to get a good feel for the absurd lengths that we have
gone to in PROTECTING people from radiation/rad. materials...
compare the monies spent in implementing OSHA (occupational
safety) regulations and RadCon regs  AND THEN compare the
incidence and severity of injuries that occur in both areas.

Sure radiological injuries do occur --- predominantly in the
industrial radiography and medical fields --- but they pale in
comparison to the sheer volume of occupational injuries that occur
weekly throughout the U.S. and the world.  (BTW:  please spare me
of the unsupported argument that our rad workers receiving 500
mrem per year will contract cancer in 20 years DUE TO their
occupational exposures).

Unfortunately, what do we see instead?  "YELLOW ALERT: 14,000
dpm alpha found on right forearm of rad worker due to intense
sweating of rad worker in 95 deg. F / 90% RH environment where
saturated anti-C's transferred contamination to skin.  Proposed fixed:
wear double standard anti-C's or single waterproof anti-C's to
prevent transfer of contamination"  And the next time out in a similar
environment, the newly protected worker suffers heat stroke and
almost dies.  This may sound extreme, but it actually has happened.

The reason so many folks are afraid of anything radiation is that
people in our profession get bent out of shape anytime someone
picks up 100 mrem or a few hundred counts on their skin.  But there
is no "injury" in these events.  In fact they pale in comparison to the
real injuries that do occur (back strain, heat stress, lacerations,
broken limbs)... sometimes due to the very controls that we
implement to "protect" our workers from radiological hazards.

[Tongue now firmly in cheek]... some day, as we sit in our low dose
hormesis chambers, we'll all look back on these experiences and
realize how foolish we've been.

Have a great day!
v/r
Michael