Re: Just what is safe (mass media)

bjorn_cedervall@hotmail.com <mailto:bjorn_cedervall@hotmail.com>  wrote:

"Back to TT: TT has a high credibility and respect in most people's minds
but I have over the years noted that they spread desinformation and garbage
in the field of radiation protection/risks etc. Their language is also
strange, it is not only words like"atomic garbage" but also constructions
like "radioactive radiation" etc. I was in touch with TT many years ago and
tried to correct some of this but they seem uninterested."

I guess they're just like most every other generic newspaper and journal,
where the bottom line is what you sell.  Accurate and unbiased reporting
would not be nearly as sensational, to incline one to purchase the
publication.  And if you find yourself in that situation where an activist
(alarmist) is trying to generate publicity over your nuclear facility, even
when the reporter comes to you to get a statement on the accusation, you
have no guarantees on what portion of your rebuttal will actually make
print.  That type of reporting is not done for the sake of finding out the
facts, and I would hesitate to say there is any real concern on the part of
the reporter; it's the story du jour.

T. D. Naquin
LCDR MSC USN
Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute (AFRRI)
8901 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20889-5603
(301) 295-9135   FAX (301) 295-5673
e-mail: naquin@mx.afrri.usuhs.mil <mailto:naquin@mx.afrri.usuhs.mil>