RE: New York Times - Red Meat Irradiation Rules

Radsafers,
Is there any opinion out there (loaded question!) as to which type(s) of
irradiation is preferable over another?  My understanding is that the gamma
sources used in some facilities are of high curie content and that there
may be less logistical problems (source disposal) by favoring another
source of the irradiation (some type of radiation generating device like an
accelerator?).

Perhaps some constructive input to industry and the public could come from
recommending one process over another for food irradiation.

This is an area I know little about, but am asked questions about it from
time to time.

Thanks,
Phil Egidi
ORNL/GJ