Re: Is Health Physics Really A Profession?

     Good question.

     Unfortunately, I'm afraid the answer is "No" to many outside of
     health physics.  That's because individuals are often designated as
     "health physicist" or "radiation safety officer" based on
     expediency to the employer rather than qualifications of the
     individual.

     This is unfair both to those who have made the effort to learn (but
     who miss out on the job), and to those who are placed in such
     positions without adequate knowledge (but with the responsibility,
     especially if things go wrong - i.e., scapegoats).

     If we want health physics to be treated as a profession-

     (1) For hiring situations (assuming you have input to the
     decisionmaking process), the greater the responsibilities of the
     open position, the more insistence should be placed on formal
     training (yes, I mean in a college or university, with teachers,
     libraries, calculators, and everything).

     Practical experience is also necessary, but when we are talking
     about professional level health physics, "swingin' a meter for a
     long time" is not a substitute for being able to tackle the
     mathematics, understand the theoretical bases of the science, and
     express yourself in a literate manner.  (This is not knocking
     technicians, most of whom are also professionals in a somewhat
     different role; the few who don't recognize the distinction between
     being an HP tech and being an HP will probably miss this point,
     though.)

     (2) Maintaining a high standard for certification certainly can't
     hurt in portraying health physics as a profession. (Read carefully:
     no, I DIDN'T say only CHPs are professional HPs, before we get on
     that thread again.)

     There are certifications where the bar has been lowered so far that
     anyone paying the exam fee can obtain them: certifications that you
     can buy are useless and certify nothing.  M.D.'s, PE's and CPA's
     are treated as professionals partly because the certifications are
     not easy and scare away MOST of the incompetents.

     (3) Allowing employers to get away with conferring the job title
     "health physicist" on any available warm body for expediency does
     NOT help health physics to be viewed as a profession.  I am open to
     suggestions on how we stop that.

     I also have no idea what to do about the media; to them, anyone can
     be an expert, as long as they claim to be and as long as they're
     "concerned" or "outraged" by whatever the hot topic is that day.

     Vincent King
     vincent.king@doegjpo.com