Re[2]: Is Health Physics Really A Profession?

          (3) Allowing employers to get away with conferring the job
          title "health physicist" on any available warm body for
          expediency does NOT help health physics to be viewed as a
          profession.  I am open to suggestions on how we stop that.

     In the U.S., the health physics profession can stop the above by
     getting title protection enacted at the federal and state level.
     Examples of this type of title protection are numerous in medicine,
     engineering, safety, industrial hygiene, and other professions.
     The AIHA provides information on their continuous title protection
     efforts at http://www.aiha.org/govt.html under their "State
     Activity on Professional Recognition/Title Protection" links.

     Title protection is certainly an effort worthy of pursuit by the
     HPS, AAHP, and NRRPT.

     Henry

     alpha*beta*gamma*neutron*xray*alpha*beta*gamma

     Boyd H. Rose, CIH, CM, AAHP(A)
     Radiation Protection Officer
     General Dynamics Land Systems Division
     1161 Buckeye Road
     Mail Zone 483-08-01
     Lima, Ohio 45804-1825
     E-mail:    roseb@gdls.com
     Telephone: (419) 221-8588
     Fax:       (419) 221-7026

     *xray*alpha*beta*gamma*neutron*xray*alpha*beta