Re: Thorium in old lens?

See NCRP Report No. 95, "Radiation Exposure of the U.S. Population from
Consumer Products and Miscellaneous Sources."  Section 3.2.8.3 (page 47),
"Camera Lenses," states:  "The presence of elevated concentrations of
radioactive material in camera lenses has been discussed in three recent
reports ... All three reports identify Th-232 and its progeny as the source
of
the radioactive material..."  The report mentions one camera lens reading 3
mrad/h gamma and 10 mrad/h beta.

The NCRP has a Web page (use a search engine) with information on report
availability.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy