Re: Tritium in exit signs and on watch dials

Joseph:

        I have information concerning Isolite self-luminous exit signs that indicates that modern exit signs can contain up to 25 Ci (2.5 mg) of T^2 gas.  Title 10 CFR 30.19 (a) allows normal citizens to possess tritiated self-luminous products without an NRC/Agreement State license, but the manufacturer of such items must have an NRC/Agreement specific license.  Part 30, however, does not explicitly say what the upper limit of tritium gas per each exit sign is.  Presumably, that is up to the manufacturer who may put more or less tritium in a sign depending upon its intended design lifetime.  10 CFR 30.15(a)(1)(i) states that time pieces may contain up to 25 mCi of H-3 per each item, and 10 CFR 30.15(a)(1)(iii) states that a watch dial/bezel may contain up to 15 mCi.  Best regards  David

At 10:42 AM 2/15/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>Does anyone know the range of tritium activity in exit signs and on
>watch dials?

DAVID W. LEE
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Radiation Protection Services, ESH-12