Re: Tritium in exit signs and on watch dials

In a message dated 2/15/99 11:53:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Matthew.Williamson@nypa.gov writes:

<< A sign we just received contained ~10 Ci of H-3.

Matt:
Back in 1978-79  I served as Sr. Radiological Engineer with the Power
Authority of the State of NY in its' Corporate Office at Columbus Circle, NY
[now New York Power Authority- NYPA]. At that time,  I had to report to the
NRC an unusually elevated [more than 10 x normal background levels] level of
H-3 in rainwater sampled at an "background" station near IP#3 as part of the
routine Radiological Environmental Monitoring Program [REMP]. A quick
technical anaylsis indicated the elevated tritium levels were unrelated to any
site activity, since there had been no unusual H-3 releases and no hint of
elevated H-3 at "indicator" stations closer to the IP#3 site.

As it turned out, after the report of this anomalous measurement, the NRC was
able to trace the source of the tritium in the rainwater sampled and anayzed
by the IP#3 REMP program to H-3 stack releases from a tritium watch/sign
manufacturer somewhere in the general vicinity [I can't recall the details of
the location, but believe it was north of the site].

Thought you might be interested in this anecdote related to your site, and an
example of how  routine activities of "non-nuclear plant" facilities can
impact rather sensitive REMP programs at nuclear plants.

Regards,

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Consulting Scientist
Public Health Sciences
Director - Radium Experiment Assessment Project [REAP]
19 Stuart St.
Pawtucket, RI 02860

Phone/FAX: (401) 727-4947  E-mail: radproject@usa.net
            Web address: http://www.delphi.com/carsreap