Re: HP a Profession?

Wow!  To consider contract workers (HP Techs) as road trash is not only far
from the truth, but an insult to all non-degreed contract workers in this
business.  I have been in the "contract" side of things for over 10 years,
and in that timeframe I have worked or managed more than 40 D&D projects
nationwide.  The majority of HP Techs I have  worked with are
knowledgeable, professional, expedient and safe.  The few project managers
I have worked with recently could quote verbatim, just about every section
of NUREG 5849 and the relatively new MARSIMM document which now influence
the manner in which we conduct surveys and decontamination activities.  The
diligence by most contract workers to know the regulations, procedures and
protocols associated with their work is impressive.  I am sure members of
the NRRPT might also disagree with your sentiments.  Your comment regarding
the efforts by contract workers to work extended shifts is common, although
I don't see the abuses you describe.  Remember the next time you select a
contractor based on price alone.  Sometimes you get what you pay for.  The
opinions are of my own and not of my employer.
John Kowal
US Ecology
jkowal@nb.net