Re: HP a Profession?

Your message raises some important questions regarding HP Technicians versus
HP's and education versus experience.  I both agree and disagree with you.

1.  Education is very important, including some formal education. The
problem
with experience alone, is that the test comes before the lesson.  More than
specifics, it's important to be able to handle situations where the
conventional wisdom doesn't apply, and to think of creative solutions.  Not
all of this education has to be formal.  It's as much an attitude and a
willingness to devote the time to self study, as the formal, "bean
counting".

2.  Having said that, it's just as important to realize the limitations of
education.  As one of my teachers put it, "A degree is a hunting license,
not
a meal ticket."  Knowing what you don't know is generally more important
than
knowing what you know, and a truly educated person is always learning.

3.  I regret that you see a dichotomy between health physicists and health
physics technicians.  We're all in it, together.  A good organization offers
technicians the opportunity to move up; and, indeed, encourages this.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

You wrote:

>As far as this profession goes, it is dying a fairly rapid death for the
>make a distinction here because we seem to be getting confused
>about Health Physicists and HP Techs.

>They are separate professions and should be handled accordingly.  You don't
>need a college educated 'rocket scientist' to go into the field and perform
HP
>technician duties.  What you need is a person that is experienced at
working
>with people, can take a survey and understand what it means, a person that
can
>be a:
>cop...politician...jr scientist...weight
lifter...EMT...auditor...instrument