RE: HP a Profession?

Just a quick comment from an Ex- Road Tech.

HP technicians and HP's are quite different from each other indeed.  The
road tech gets the job done, usually efficiently and timely.  Without the HP
road tech workhorse,( and workhorse meaning those poor souls that have to
work 72-84 hours per week to support two households - one on the road, and
one permanent location) not much would get accomplished beyond the paperwork
and theory expertise of a HP.   It has been a sad state for road tech's in
the last few years with  job opportunity diminishing  greatly in the nuclear
power plant industry - hovever, with all of the cross training and hands on
experience in Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene a technician is exposed
to, I would think that hiring an HP technician for some of the jobs I've
seen posted on RADSAFE would be just as beneficial as to hiring a degreed
HP.  Most HP technicians I know and have worked with are either NRRPT
certified, or are working towards a degree in a related field.  The two go
hand in hand, (tech's and HP's) and neither should be disregarded as being a
viable resource for jobs.

Clearly my own opinion.