RE: HP a Profession?

Just a quick comment from an Ex- Road Tech.

HP technicians and HP's are quite different from each other indeed.  The
road tech gets the job done, usually efficiently and timely.  Without the HP
road tech workhorse,( and workhorse meaning those poor souls that have to
work 72-84 hours per week to support two households - one on the road, and
one permanent location) not much would get accomplished beyond the expertise
of an (speaking of power plant environments of course). It has been a sad
state for road tech's in the last few years with  job opportunity
diminishing  greatly in the nuclear power plant industry - hovever, with all
of the cross training and hands on experience in Health Physics and
Industrial Hygiene a technician is exposed to, I would think that hiring an
HP technician for some of the jobs I've seen posted on RADSAFE would be just
as beneficial as to hiring a degreed HP.  Most HP technicians I know and
have worked with are either NRRPT certified, or are working towards a degree
in a related field.  The two go hand in hand, (tech's and HP's) and neither
should be disregarded as being a viable resource for jobs.

As for progressing from a junior HP to a CHP - I don't see how one would be
able to do that in a timely matter without some kind of intense formal
education - ie.  degreed HP.  Not every job in health physic requires such
an advanced education - which brings me back to the point - HP tech's and
HP's are two different but necessary distinctions in the health physics
world.

Clearly my own opinion.