Ward Valley Low Level Radioactive Waste site - Draft Letter to Gov. Davis

Below is a Draft Letter to Governor Gray Davis,  regarding the Ward
Valley Low Level Radioactive Waste Site. The intent of the letter is to
provide the Governor with letters from as many Health Physics and
Radiation Protection professionals, promoting the need for the site in
California. I am requesting that the letter below be used as a guide in
formulating your own responses. It is imperative to let the Governor
know that these issues are manageable, and that his support is needed.
There is already a considerable effort underway from those who oppose
this site. Your help is needed to get numbers of responses documented
that support the site.

Thank you all ...

Sandy Perle
President-Elect, SCCHPS

---------------

February 12, 1999

The Honorable Gray Davis
Governor of the State of California
State Capital
Sacramento, CA 94814

Dear Governor Davis:

I am a member of the Health Physics and Radiation Protection
professional community in California.  I am aware of California's need for
the Ward Valley Low Level Radioactive Waste site and support the
licensure and the development of that site.  As you know, California
leads the nation in complying with the directives of the Low Level Waste
Policy Act.  The license review by the California Department of Health
Services has been a long process, highly scrutinized, and based on
concrete scientific principles and risk assessment.  The Department of
Health Services has determined that the site is safe and has issued the
license, and it has been upheld by California's Courts.  We hope you will
stand by these administrative and judicial decisions and request the
federal government to promptly transfer to the State of California, the
one-thousand acres in Ward Valley.  The license has faced numerous
obstacles, law suits and intervenors.  It has withstood the scrutiny of
public comment periods, court challenges and most notably a lengthy
review by the National Academy of Sciences(NAS).  The conclusion of
the noted NAS scientific panel is that this site is safe.  I concur.  The
only impediments to the license are political and I trust that your
decision will transcend politics.

Lack of a site to dispose of low level radioactive waste jeopardizes
California's position as a leader in science, environmental protection,
medical research and cutting edge technology as we enter the 21st
century.  I am concerned about the potential loss of access to the South
Carolina disposal site and the resulting impacts that this will have on
California.  We believe you are committed to making sound decisions
based on the facts and based on what is best for all of California.  As a
scientist and expert in radiation protection, I support the development of
the Ward Valley site.  I  respect your position that you will use the
wisdom brought by good science and proceed with the decisions about
Ward Valley.