RE: Neutron dose factor, comments

Fully aware that I may not be fully aware of the question,
here is yet another look at the dependence of dose-equivalence on
neutron energy.

One of the considerations is the change of quality factor with
Linear Energy Transfer (LET), or dE/dx.  For protons, there
is a peak of about 80 keV/micron at about 80 kev proton energy.
At higher energies, the dE/dx decreases, to 40 keV/micron
at about 500 keV, to 20 keV/micron at about 1.5 MeV, to
5 keV/micron at about 9 meV, and on down to the traditional
QF=1 value of 3.5 keV/micron near 15 MeV.  So the protons themselves
begin to look like ordinary electrons at higher energies.

Adding complication to this trend is the recoil of heavier nucleii.
There is a resonance for scatter on oxygen at about 430 keV,
and RBE studies tend to show a maximum there, where the proton
dE/dx is still fairly high.  At energies > 10 meV, spallation reactions
can begin to happen, with the overall increase of effective dE/dx
	due to splashed-out nuclear fragments, especially alpha particles.

	numbers from ICRU 49, mostly

	r d colvett
	tva
	muscle shoals, al