Re: inquiry for cases about radiation contamination in residence

Dear Shu-Fen Kao

       There were many of these events in the past, in which  the major
consequences were economical aspects, however today the growing and
consequences of  Radioactive sources found in shipments of Scrap in USA and
other countries changed a lot the problem, specially after the Radiological
accident in Juarez (Mexico). The Taiwan and Juarez accident were in the same
year 1983, however the activities of the sources were different (around 740
MBq (20 mCi)  in Taiwan and 15 TBq  (450 Ci in Juarez).  I am working in
similar document as you, but with different approach, my approach is the
approach of the Regulator,  (specially for developing countries) --  The
need to assure that licensed radioactive materials are adequately
controlled, accounted for and properly disposed of  by licensees and do not
enter the public domain in an uncontrolled manner.
Recently, two other accidents brought to light such concern, the Acerinox
(Spain) and Turkey. The official data of both,   are until now only in the
level of National Competent Authorities or International Organizations (IAEA
and WHO). Unofficially information you can find in many internet sites.
To learn on this subject in the past up to 1994, the important references are:
Radioactive Materials in Recycled Metals Joel O. Lubenau and James G. Yusko
Health Physics  Volume 4, Number 4, April 1995 -- and the Update of above
document in  Volume 74 Number 3 March 1998.
If you make  a research in the NRC Web Site you will find many topics on
this subject, including in  speeches and  remarks by commissioner.
There are also many privates and environmental organization sites in France,
Italy, German and Spain giving their interpretation on  this problem.
National Authorities and International  Organization have recognized that
there is a need to improve regulatory programs for overseeing the use of
radioactive materials and, particularly, to ensure that sources that are no
longer needed, so-called "spent sources," are properly controlled and
disposed of. Extensive  international efforts have been mounted to improve
regulatory infrastructures in other countries, particularly in developing
countries and in the former Soviet Union, however we need to pay attention
worldwide to strengthening regulatory programs for materials safety as well

        I  understood  that you work at Dept. of Sociology, Michigan State
University. I do believe that you are  more interested in social and
psychological  aspects; so, please,   mention your  specific points of
interest, and probably we can discuss more this question, with more specific