Re: Critics of French nuclear test vindicated by lastest study

At 10:01 23.02.1999 -0600, you wrote:
>I posted this last night to my nuclear related news membership.
>Perhaps Franz will elaborate more, in that he has been involved in
>the original study, and obviously does NOT agree with Greenpeace
>on their lastest statements.
>
>Critics of French nuclear test vindicated by lastest study
>
>WELLINGTON, Feb 21 (AFP) - A French study reporting serious
>radioactive leakage at the former French nuclear test sites of
>Mururoa and Fangataufa atolls in the South Pacific vindicates
>Greenpeace's opposition to the tests, Greenpeace New Zealand
>said Sunday. ..................

Sandy,

To read this incredible nonsense causes me psychical and physical pain. I
will comment on this later, but already now I want to inform you and fellow
RADSAFERs, that there was an international conference on this topic last
summer, where the findings of the International Advisory Committee were
presented. The IAC was supported by - if I remember correctly - 55 (fifty
five)  i n d e p e n d a n t  - I repeat:
i n d e p e n d a n t  scientists. A representative of Greenpeace
International was invited to this meeting and unlike the usual procedure at
such an IAEA conference, he was also entitled to take part in the
discussions and to make statements. His statements were included in the
proceedings of the conference and he stated explicitely that the findings
of the International Mururoa Study were reasonable and acceptable. I have
personally asked him, whether his statements could be cited and he assured
me that this was the case and that this was to be regarded as the official
Greenpeace opinion.

Please make up your mind about such a group. This "Independant Commission"
has obviously not read the report - I will forward later my comment. I
assure everybody, that the report published by the IAEA is the truth and
nothing else than the truth.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schönhofer
Federal Institute for Food Control and Research
Department of Radiochemistry
Kinderspitalg. 15
A-1095 Vienna
Austria