licensing in medical institution

Hello everyone,

We, at the American University of Beirut, are about to begin licensing
users of radioactive materials for research purposes.  Our institution
consists of a university and a medical center.  I was hopping that someone
might assist me with the following questions.  What is the work practice in
the states concerning the licensing of personnel who uses radioactive
materials at a medical center? Is it similar to the University settings,
i.e. does everyone who possess or uses radioactive material above the
exempt levels need to be licensed from the Radiation Safety Committee.  For
example, will the nuclear medicine department in a hospital need to be
licensed by the RSC to possess and use radioactive materials?  Where do the
NRC stands concerning this matter?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Malek Chatila, Ph.D. candidate