Prescribing Respiratory Protection

All,

Looking for information on how different sites address the issue of
prescribing respiratory protection.  I do not favor an absolute value such
as "1.0 DAC - value at which respirators shall be worn".   What I'm looking
for is some good language that takes into account various factors that
should be considered prior to prescribing respirators, e.g., job duration,
trends, possibility of cross-contamination of filter media, external dose
(not a factor at my site).

As usual, your help is appreciated.

Randy Redmond
Lockheed Martin Energy Systems