Re: Food Irradiation Symbol

Dear Bruce,

        Very important your topic.  I do believe that the use of food
irradiation is more a question of competent communication rather than
symbol. Food Irradiation communication, both pro-active and reactive, have
been done with competence. This we can understand by the USA and others'
national or international information and looking at so net sites. Really
seem to me that food irradiation is today one of the most competent messages
directly to the public.

Regarding warning & label , I agree perfectly with your point, however
understanding symbols sometimes is quite difficult. Look at the IRPA's logo:
The institution decided to create its logo in  opposite intention of the
trefoil's one,  Please look at the IRPA's site:
http://irpa.sfrp.asso.fr/logohist.html

"The IRPA's symbol has been designed with the idea to convert the negative,
suppressive meaning of the warning trifoil into a positive one symbolizing
protection, health, prosperity. By repeating the extension of one edge of
the segment into a smooth curve in the series of all three segments a new
configuration with three arms arises negating by its form and position the
repelling meaning of the warning trifoil."

Although I know the story of the trefoil logo,  the reason of the three
segment, until now, at least to my knowledge is only hypothesis.
IRPA, the  high International organization in Radiation protection,
intended to give  a positive image, however gave a negative information when
wrote "trifoil" instead "trefoil"

J.J.Rozental
<josrozen@netmedia.net.il>