RE: Ion Chamber

With the new generation ion chambers, RSO-50E and RO-20, which incorporate
digital circuitry there are no more moving magnet arms, or cams that can
fail.  They are also constructed with chamber densities at 1000 mg/cm2,
which meets the 1994 revision to Reg Guide 8.34 for DEDE.  The reason for
the range problems on the earlier Bicron's was due to the slipping of the
cam on the switch shaft.  Eberline's design utilized a flat side to the
switch shaft to prevent the complete rotation of the shaft without moving
the magnet.  Eberline did modify the RO-2 by drilling into the shaft and
placing the set screw at that point to prevent any slipping.  Bicron
corrected their problem, but I do not recall how they did it.