Millenium Bug May Stop Ukraine Nuke Plants-Expert

Friday March 5 12:27 AM ET

Millenium Bug May Stop Ukraine Nuke Plants-Expert

KIEV (Reuters) - An independent Ukrainian nuclear power expert
defied official complacency Thursday, saying computers hit by the
millennium bug might paralyze the ex-Soviet state's five nuclear
power plants next year.

``We have to prepare for the worst in our nuclear energy sector,
and this 'worst' might mean that all stations could stop
simultaneously,'' Serhiy Parashin, head of the Energy and
Information research center, told a news conference.

``We have not yet received all information from our nuclear stations
... but, unfortunately, have to say that Ukrainian energy authorities
do not fully understand the problem,'' Parashin said.

The bug stems from the once-common practice of using only two
digits for the year in computer program dates, like 99 for 1999. That
shortcut has the potential, when dates change in 2000, to confuse
computers and microchips embedded in machines, causing them
to reject data or not work at all.

Academician Olexander Parkhomenko, who is also a director of
the state nuclear power agency Energoatom, told Reuters this
week the bug would not affect Ukrainian nuclear plants because of
their unsophisticated computer equipment.

``Fortunately, our nuclear energy sector is not fully computerized,
and problems existing in the West are not relevant for us,''
Parkhomenko said.

But analysts argue that the country's electricity supply and
generating systems would all collapse if three or more of Ukraine's
five nuclear stations stopped.

Analysts say Ukraine operates more than 20,000 computerized
information systems, and most of them have not been adapted
to beat the Y2K bug.

Parashin, who is a former director of the troubled Chernobyl nuclear
power plant, said the consequences of the bug problem could be
``most unexpected,'' but did not elaborate.

Ukraine's Chernobyl nuclear power plant exploded in April 1986,
spewing a cloud of poisonous radioactive dust over Ukraine,
Belarus, Russia and parts of Western Europe in the world's worst
civil nuclear disaster.

The memory of that catastrophe has bred fresh concerns about
how immune the former Soviet republic's five aging nuclear power
stations will prove to the Y2K problem.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205