Re: Radioactive Cobalt Is In Cove

Two comments:

1)  This occcurrence illustrates a potential flaw in the "Offsite Dose
Calculation Manual" for some nuclear power plants.  The liquid release
calculations sometimes do not account for the accumulation of radionuclides
in
sediments.  The liquid release limits are thus specified in terms of
concentrations, eg, less than MPC or less than "effluent concentration", not
in terms of radionuclide quantities.  Thus, large volumes of low
concentration
releases may have resulted in the accumulation of detectable quantities of
radionuclides in sediments, perhaps without the knowledge of the licensees.
suspect the Millstone occurrence is not unique.  Hence, all nuclear power
plants where sediment accumulation is a possibility should review their
environmental monitoring programs to be sure that all potential pathways are
being monitored.  If sediment accumulation has occurred, we should be the
ones
to find it.  If found, a credible risk assessment should be prepared and
published before this becomes a media circus.  If practicable, nuclear power
plants with the potential for radionuclide accumulation in sediments should
adopt a zero liquid release policy.

2)  It would be a serious mistake for Millstone to attempt to trivialize the
significance of this event.  As with the tritium plume at Brookhaven, the
problem isn't the dose, which is virutally zero, but the question of how the
licensee allowed this to happen.  I highly recommend that we all review the
events at Rancho Seco, in the 1980's.  See NRC Inspection Report No.
50-312/86-15.  If the problems here apply to your plant, don't wait for
someone else to find them.

The opinions expressed are stricly mine.
It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com