Re: Pocket Dosimeters

> I have a researcher going to China to work with accelerators there and
> they are interested in taking some pocket dosimeters with them.  Does
> anyone out there have suggestions what type they should take?

The typical PIC (Pocket Ionization Chamber) will be essentially
useless as a secondary monitoring device. The PIC will under-
respond (if at all) to typical accelerator energy spectrum. The other
problem you'd have is you'd need a reader to zero it out, from
response due to natural background, transit exposure, etc.

If you're going to wear anything, you should use an electronic
dosimeter (still need the capability to zero it out - or, just do the
simple subtraction from day to day). They should wear a TLD and
ensure that the appropriate algorithm is used to report the dose,
upon their return.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205