Re: Ion Chamber Instruments

Pete,

I appreciate the additional information you provided the RADSAFE community on
the ion chambers, but I believe you need to check your facts more closely
before you refute my statements.
First, there was substantial testing performed to the ANSI N42.17C standard
that was performed by INEEL, NTS (EPA Lab), and PNL on the Eberline RO-20 and
Bicron RSO-50E in 1995. Indeed, approximately 19 of the 27 ANSI N42.17C tests
were performed, with the remainder either not significant or not applicable.
These tests were more intensive, time consuming, and expensive than ANSI
N42.17A

Additionally, in contrast to your statements, there were only minimal problems
with these two models (9 instruments of each model tested) at the actual time
of testing.  These are all documented in the HPIC minutes and on the test data
results. I don't know where you got your information that "major" problems
occurred during HPIC testing but you may have confused it with your
independent tests at ORNL.  The "major" problems that you referred to with
these ion chambers came much later and occurred only at ORNL (and minimally (6
instruments)  at SRNL) due to unauthorized modifications that the mfgrs.made
to the original HPIC approved specifications. We called the mfgrs. to task and
they corrected them. At no time was there any discussion on the HPIC about
disqualifying the Eberline or Bicron models. I believe that was an ORNL issue
only ( I remember the discussion on it at the time with you and Perry ) and
the HPIC minutes do not address it .  Gary Labruyere, Murari, and others I
checked with remember it that way as well.

In the future please have the courtesy to communicate with me before you make
a rebuttal of this nature. I checked my facts before I replied but that
does'nt mean I can't be wrong and I'll readily admit it if so.  I have heard
from several of the HPIC members, (some of whom did the testing) who wanted me
to refute your statements publicly on RADSAFE but I do not believe that to be
the correct nor polite route, either now or in the future.  I very much
appreciate your contributions and efforts to the HPIC and hope we can get past
this issue and avoid it in the future. We have a lot to do in the future to
make it succeed and I need your help to do it.

Dale Snowder
(208) 523-5557