Re: Risk from a dental X-ray

Ken,

I'd print out a copy of the following URL on the University of
Michigan Radiation protection Website, which addresses Risk:

http://www.sph.umich.edu/group/eih/UMSCHPS/risk.html

Within this document, there are tables that address health risk
based on various factors, industry, types of radiation exposure
(including dental irradiations), background radiation, drinking water
exposure, etc.

In addition, I'd inform this individual that a declared pregnant female
can be exposed up to 500 mrem during the entire gestation period,
and this exposure is quite liberal, based on the fact that before any
measurable effects are observed, is on the order of tens of
thousands of mrem, even hundreds of thousands. I'd give the
individual information on the typical dose to the patient, effective
skin dose, penetrating, etc., for various types of dental procedures.
On-site of potential cataracts is on the order of 200,000 mrads, etc.

Hope this gets you going.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205