Re: Risk from dental x ray

All comments on this issue are appropriate.  Over the past
20 years or so I have devoted most of my time to study of
patient exposure from diagnostic x ray, especially dental.
We have developed a Monte Carlo radiation transport code
that provides specific organ doses to the entire body.  The
results as effective doses in microsievert:
Procedure		Typical technique State of the art
Full mouth intraoral, 21 film	350		45
Bitewing, 4 film		70		8
Panoramic, 1 film				20
(Gibbs et al, Dentomaxillofacial Radiology 17:15, 1988)

I too have used time of environmental exposure that gives
the same effective dose as the diagnostic exposure.
However, the more compelling issue is simply: Is the
exposure justified on clinical grounds?  Dentists have been
trained to perform repeat radiography on asymptomatic
patients at regular intervals.  In many offices this is
done by the dental hygienist before the dentist sees the
patient.  Now there are high-yield criteria for deciding on
the diagnostic need for radiographs, based on history and
physical exam. I would therefore advise the patient to ask
the dentist to justify the exposure on clinical grounds.
Clinically indicated and justified radiographs should be
obtained on grounds that the expected health benefit should
outweigh any radiation risk.  On the other hand, exposure
that is not justified is by definition wasted.
Hope this helps.
S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-3190
Professor of Radiology                    FAX: 615-322-3764
Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville TN 37232-2670 Email:s.julian.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu