Re: Source Expiration Dates-Statistics

One reason an expiration date is placed on a source (even if physical
integrity and ingrowth of daughters is not an issue) is that the calibration
has a specified uncertainty associated with it. The number you use as the
calibration number is the center of a confidence interval. The percentage
uncertainty is usually quite low when the source is calibrated. For sources
with a very long half life, decay during a lifetime of use is generally
negligible. But for sources where decay may be significant, this percentage
uncertainty will increase over time. This is simply because (Square root of
number of counts per unit time)/(number of counts per unit time)  the
fractional uncertainty due to Poisson statistics, increases as the number of
counts per unit time decreases. This number needs to be adjusted by the
original uncertainty to give the overall uncertainty at the time the source
is used as a calibration source.

This may seem pedantic for the calibration source, but the overall error in
a measurement where another radioactive source is compared to the
calibration source includes the terms for counting uncertainty, and the
uncertainty in the calibration of the calibration source, and the time the
calibration source has decayed (if it is appreciable)--as well as the
counting uncertainty in the material being measured.

Michael A. Kay, ScD, CHMM
makay@teleport.com