Re: Dose Limit for "women of reproductive age"?

In Canada, there used to be different dose limits for females of
reproductive capacity. This was changed around 1985. I can't find a copy of
the old regulations but I quote from a document dated 1983 explaining the
change:

"The proposed regulations remove the special restrictions on dose rate which
are currently applied for all female atomic radiation workers of
reproductive capacity. The annual dose limit is the same for men and women,
but the current regulations restrict the rate at which this dose can be
accumulated by imposing a bi-weekly limit as well as a lower quarterly limit
for women. These restrictions were intended to protect the embryo or foetus
from acute radiation doses during periods when a woman could be pregnant
without knowing it.

   An undesirable consequence of these extra restrictions is that womaen can
be denied employment in certain instances on the grounds that the work could
involve dose rates in excess of the special limits for women. Following a
request by the Canadian Human Rights Comission, the AECB reviewed the basis
for the restrictions with its medical advisors and its Advisory Committee on
Radiological Protection. It concluded that, in view of the rather small risk
involved, and the counterbalancing benefit of a wider range of employment
opportunities for many women in radiation work, the special restrictions
should be removed"

Again I reiterate that the regulations were changed in Canada so there is
now only a special dose restriction for pregnant women. However, the earlier
regulations were, I'm quite sure, consistent with recommendations outlined
in ICRP 26. It might well be that there are still different dose limits for
women of reproductive capacity in place in some countries.

Matthew Schmid

At 12:20 PM 3/12/99 -0600, you wrote:
>> In report EAR MOW 98-027 there is a reference to 5 women receiving doses in
>> excess of the maximum permissible value for women of reproductive age.
>
>NOt sure what this report is in reference to? As far as I know, in
>the USA, the regulations do not differentiate between sexes, i.e.,
>there are no regulatory limits specifically for one group, to the
>other. The only reduced dose limit is for the "Declared Pregnant
>Female" and that is 500 mrem during the entire gestation period. If
>there is no declaration, a pregnant female is subject to the same
>limits as provided for all occupational workers. Perhaps I missed
>something by not seeing this reference. The statement seems to
>be in error when it states "women receiving doses in
>> excess of the maximum permissible value for women of
>reproductive age." I believe this can only be accurate if they are
>"declared", and not just within a certain age bracket. That is
>discrimination, clear and simple.

Matthew Schmid, M.Sc., MCCPM
Allan Blair Cancer Centre
Regina, Sask., Canada S4T 7T1