RSO list server

Actually, there was no post about the RSO listserver.  For a few years I
have been maintaining a listserver of sorts specifically for academic and
medical RSOs.  Membership is limited to two persons per medical or academic
institution, to be designated by the RSO.  Everything is handled manually,
so there is no risk of people joining who should not be included.
Practically speaking, this makes for a greater degree of candor, I think.
Anyone interested in posting to the list sends e-mail to me and I forward it
on to the list, along with any responses.  We currently have about 50
members, 48 of whom are in the US, plus one person each from Canada and
Australia.

Issues discussed include recent inspections, requests for information,
lessons learned from incidents, some cross-posting of relevant (in my
opinion, I guess) Radsafe postings, questions about practices and policies,
and the like.  Anything that is of interest to RSOs is fair game.  In
exchange, we have a strict policy of confidentiality of information shared
on the list - it's all right to mention that "a university experienced....",
but we prefer to keep the specifics just among us.

One thing we are working on right now is a group response to some recent EPA
policies.  I hope we can continue to work on things like this in the future;
where a number of RSOs can perhaps issue joint statements to the regulators
regarding the practical impact of changing policies.

Anyone who is interested in joining, please send me an e-mail and I will
send you a copy of the few rules and policies we have.  Traffic is
relatively low (the highest volume to date has been about 25 messages in one
day and about 75 in a week) and content is usually pretty high.  I have not
had to edit anything yet for content because most RSOs are too busy to flame
or post irrelevant things.

I'll look forward to hearing from any interested RSOs!

Andy

P. Andrew Karam, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
University of Rochester