Re: TMI 20th Anniversary Event to Feature Federal, State and

> But we have no basis to think we would do a better job communicating
> with the public.

Jim,

I believe that we do in fact communicate better than we did during
TMI. Except that whatever we say, falls on deaf ears. The fact that
the public doesn't want to believe us has no correlation in our
ability to communicate effectively. Effective communication means
that there is a facilitated effort to make those whom we are
addressing to understand what we are saying. The fact is, there is
an understanding, yet they chose not to believe what they have
been told. Comes down to basic paradigms. And until the
paradigms change, we might as well be communicating with walls.

One of my accountabilities during emergency exercises was to
support the Emegency Control Officer at the EOF and ENC, with
respect to risk assessment communication in the ENC. We all had
media training, to assist in communicating more effectively. Having
attended my first exercise in 1975, I saw a significant improvement
after TMI, up until I left the utility at the end of 1996. I do believe
that communication is better, not only in situations involving
radiation and releases of radioactive materials, but in all kinds of
briefings, such as airline disasters, the current Amtrak accident
and war coverage. Communication is better. The primary obstacle
we are faced with, in our industry, is the predominant distrust by
the public. There are many reasons for that, and some of the blame
rests with us, and a lot of it is based on other factors.

But as far as communication, I believe that many of us do that very
well, every day, and especially when dealing with the public.