Re: Americium 241

Unless it is a certified "special form" source, like the M43A1 CAD, shipping
such a source would trigger requirements that include specification packaging,
wipe testing, and specific documentation.  If you want to ensure compliance you
should consult an expert.  Army activities have the services of health physics
consultants available to them (at no costs) via USACHPPM.  And USACHPPM has a
branch in Japan.  See their web page at http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil

IF it is special form, like the M43A1 CAD, it probably qualifies as a "limited
quantity instruments or article".  The M43A1 does qualify.  That would exempt it
from specification packaging and any external labeling requirements.  Other
labeling requirements are generally met by the M43A1's markings.

my opinions only, etc.
Steve Cima
P.S.   Drop me a line directly if you want to discuss it further.
cima@bellsouth.net