Re: Radon levels in underground mines

At 04:35 PM 3/19/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>I am looking for radon levels in underground mines (not necessarily uranium
>mines). I suspect there may be wide range of radon levels depending on soil
>contents, types, and others. I read a number of 0.05 -2.5 WLM/y from the
>paper written by Naomi Harley in the proceedings of 1998 mid-year meeting.
>Is this commonly used velue?
>
>I saw a paper (title only) titled "Radon and lung cancer risk: A joint
>analysis of 11 underground mines" NIH 94-3644, 1994 by J. Lubin and 12 other
>authers. I would like to contact someone who may have access to this
>article. Please contact me if have access or know how I can access to this
>article.
>
>For those who are in the Radon Section, this is your chance to shine
>(please). Thank you. And have a good weekend. M. Jo
>Myung Chul Jo, RSO
>EH&S, Mail Stop 328
>University of Nevada, Reno
>Reno, Nevada 89557
>(702)784-4540
>(702)784-4553 fax
>mjo@scs.unr.edu

++++++++++++++++++++++
You may want to look at the following paper:

"Identification of non-uranium mines which presnt a radon risk through
measurements of exhaust air" by S. Bernhard, J. Le Gac, P. Zettwoog, and H.
Séguin, Proceddings of the International Conference on Occupational
Radiation Safety in Mining, H. Stocker, ed., Canadian Nuclear Association,
Publisher, Toronto, 1984, pp. 307-316.

The authors measured radon and progeny in exhaust air of some 45 mines,
some of which had enough radon and progeny to give exposures of up to 6 WLM
(min about 6 mWLM).  All the values in the paper are in SI units (Bq/m3,
J/m3, etc..).

Philippe Duport
International Centre for Low Dose Radiation Research
Institute for Research on Environemnt and Economy
University of Ottawa, Canada
e-mail: pduport@uottawa.ca
tel: (613) 562 5800, ext 1270