Re: disposal of "lead" protective aprons (as used in medical x-ray

"Where ignorance is bliss ..." - You might want to sign your name, "Paradise
lost in Milwaukee."  You are the proud new owner of some RCRA hazardous
waste.
Welcome to 40 CFR!  I would guess that your institution generates other
hazardous waste, and has someone who handles this.  Find him.  Among other
things, you may have started a 90 day clock on the time you can store this
without being required to obtain a "Treatment, Storage, and Disposal
Facility"
permit (Don't go there.).  EPA fines are generally assessed on a per day of
violation basis.  Now that I am making you aware of this, any violations
could
be construed as willful, subjecting you to criminal penalties.  Have a nice
day.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

You wrote:

Radlisters:

This chump has been stumped (again). Here's a non-radiation question
peripherally involving medical health physicists.

I was asked today if there are any regulations on the disposal of "lead"
protective aprons of the type routinely used in medical x-ray departments.

These aprons may contain Pb, Sn, Ba, and who-knows-what other heavy metals
that you presumably don't want in an incinerator. What about a landfill?

Ignorant in Milwaukee,
Doug
Douglas J. Simpkin, Ph.D., DABR
St. Luke's Medical Center