Re: 10 CFR 20.1904(b)

In a message dated 99-03-25 12:07:13 EST, prstein@gyral.com writes:

<< "I interpret 'remove or deface the radioactive material label or otherwise
 clearly...' to mean all symbols, words, etc. that refer to radioactivity.
Some
 package have both the magenta symbol and the word 'radioactive' affixed to
them.

 "My collegue believes that this refers only to the symbol and the words do
not
 need to be defaced." >>

One of the purposes (maybe the only one) of defacing the labels is to ensure
that when the package is released to a landfill or put to other uses that it
is very clear that it no longer contains radioactivity.  This would imply that
the more complete the defacement, the better.  Many people may not recognize
the symbol, but would easily recognize the word "radioactivity."  Not defacing
the word in addition to the symbol would serve to defeat the purpose of the
regulation.

Barbara L. Hamrick
BLHamrick@aol.com