Re: Doctorate in Health Physics

RADSAFERS,

I almost sent a response to this very issue yesterday when I noted Jesse
Coleman's remarks about promoting educational opportunities.  I'm so
glad to see that there are others who share my views on the subject of
higher education announcements.  As a student (one that uses a
university campus server for my personal email---myself and about 10,000
other students at this university), I consider the internet as a
resource for finding job opportunities as well as furthering my
education---I would assume that if the state had a problem with that,
they would have either jailed a bunch of us by now or they would have
minimally taken away our campus computing privileges.  At the same time,
I also empathize with Melissa.  I don't know that I would want to take
on the responsibility of opening a listserver to anything that anyone
may want to say---on a public network no less.  I've sent her a personal
email to see if educational and occupational announcements actually fall
under the category of "advertising" when it comes to commercial
solicitation prohibitions.  I suspect that if they do, there must be a
high degree of latitude.  The only time I have ever seen anyone on
RADSAFE complain about educational announcement opportunities is when a
certain somebody (who I've recently noticed has not had any problems
announcing his/her own institution when the occasion arises) doesn't
like the fact that their institution is not the one being solicited.

To conclude I mulled over this issue of "advertising," and I couldn't
think of anything that we would need this listserver for as a
professional organization that wouldn't classify as advertising (other
than to discuss regulatory compliance issues or to engage in
light-hearted chat).  I mean, it seems that all we have to do to make
our messages advertisements under the current rules is mention the brand
name of a company that sells equipment or supplies.  How many times have
we done this?  I don't think a day has gone by since I've been a RADSAFE
subscriber where people on RADSAFE have failed to advertise.  Maybe we
should only use this server to discuss regulatory compliance issues :)

Greg Gibbons
gibbgreg@isu.edu