Lithuania PM Says N-Plant Closure Depends On Aid

Apparently, threats of continuing to operate problem nuclear power
plants is becoming a normal process in third world countries. Hand
over the $$ or we'll continue to run these babies!!!

Thursday April 8 7:56 AM ET

Lithuania PM Says N-Plant Closure Depends On Aid

VILNIUS (Reuters) - Lithuanian Prime Minister Gediminas
Vagnorius Thursday called for financial assistance from abroad to
close its Ignalina nuclear power plant, saying that otherwise the
station could stay open for some time.

The Soviet-built Ignalina, which operates two RBMK reactors
similar to the one that caused the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, has
become one of the main obstacles for Lithuania in its bid to join
fast-track talks for EU membership.

``If the international community is not able to supply us with the
necessary support...then I think we have the right to operate the
power plant for as long as we need to raise the necessary funds for
the decommissioning,'' Vagnorius told an international conference
on safety at Ignalina.

Lithuania is the most nuclear-dependent country in the world,
drawing over 80 percent of its energy from Ignalina.

A recent study found an early closure of the plant would cost
Lithuania about $3.3 to $3.9 billion in lost opportunity.

Vagnorious said the matter had become too politicized, and
stressed that experts, not politicians, should determine the plant's
fate.

``If for safety reasons experts recommend shutting the power plant,
the Seimas (parliament) and government of Lithuania are ready to
do that immediately,'' Vagnorius said.

Lithuania said last year that it would form an international,
independent commission to give concrete recommendations as to
when the plant should be closed from the viewpoint of safety.

Lithuania has invested around $220 million since 1991 to upgrade
Ignalina's safety features.

``Experts now admit that Ignalina's levels of safety are no lower
than those in Western power plants,'' he said.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205

              - G. K. Chesterton -