QUESTION REGARDING RADIOIODINE CROSS CONTAMINATION

Does anyone know of any references regarding glassware cross contamination
not occurring when washed together with radioiodine contaminated plasticware
(such as carboys) in a mechanical washer?

Generally, our experience has been that contaminated glassware cleans up very
well, but contaminated plasticware does not.   We also see that if
contaminated plasticware and non-contaminated glassware are together in the
same cleaning cycle, the glassware does not become cross contaminated.  The
plastic items do not decon in the wash well, probably because of surface
properties.  In addition, we notice that non-contaminated plasticware will
pick up contamination if washed with other contaminated items.

Any comments regarding similar experience or references to available
information is appreciated.  Please respond to my e-mail address unless you
feel it is of interest to everyone.

Terry Liaboe
Manager, ADD Radiation Safety
Abbott Laboratories