Re: X-ray diffraction area monitors

Steve:  Health Physics Instruments (HPI) makes a Model 2030 low-energy x-ray area monitor that was originally designed for XRDs.  Contact John Handloser, Jr.  HPI is an affiliate member of the HPS, the listed e-mail is jsh@fwt.com; Suite D, 330 S. Kellogg Avenue, Goleta, CA  93117; (805) 964-3615.  Best regards  David

At 07:03 AM 4/12/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Wade:
>
>    I use the NaI when inspecting to look for scatter or leakage from these
>units -
>I like the response in the 10-40 keV range, a little better than the end
>window GM.
>If you go to the RADSAFE search http://romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu/SFgate/ and
>type in
>low energy x-ray 8 kev you will find some responses to surveying XRDs with
>instruments as well.
>
>    Hope this was helpful.
>
>Steve Hand
>Radiation Safety
>University of Maryland
>
>"Wade Sewell (302) 695-6627" wrote:
>
>> Hello Radsafers!
>>
>> I have a few questions regarding monitoring areas where analytical x-ray
>> diffraction units are used.  Currently, we are using a Ludlum model 177 alarm
>> ratemeter with an end-window GM probe placed approximately 6" from the
>beam port
>> to monitor scatter.  Because of the low efficiency for x-rays, we would
>like to
>> switch the probe to possibly a Ludlum model 44-17 (which is an end-window
>2" x
>> 2mm NaI detector recommended for use between 10 and 60 keV).
>>
>> What would you recommend for this application?
>>
>> Do you monitor the area where x-ray diffraction units are used?
>>
>> What do you set the alarm at?
>>
>> A few details:  these units are not "cabinet" systems and they are
>operated at
>> 50 kVp at 100mA.
>>
>> Thank you!
>> Wade Sewell