Re: nuclear accident in New Mexico <fwd>

As I recall, the New Churchrock Tailings Dam accident happened during the
late spring or early summer of '79 during a heavy storm.  Failure of the
tailings dam was attributed to a engineering error by a subcontractor who
took responsibility for the dam.  Obviously, they went bankrupt.  The mine
owner / operator was not held responsible and they received a very, very
large court settlement when the US Government prematurely withdrew their
operating license before the results of the investigation was completed.  The
owner took the money and went into the aerospace industry. The site was the
"New Churchrock Mine" to distinguish it from the "Old Churchrock Mine"
several miles away.

Hope that helps!

D. McCarn

In a message dated 4/19/99 12:39:16 PM Mountain Daylight Time, brees@lanl.gov