Re: Medical examination for a radiation worker

> There's a problem with this method of determining who is and who is not a
> radiation worker.  What about those in exclusively H-3, C-14, S-35
> programs?  They can work with very large quantities and (assuming they use
> their fume hoods and protective clothing properly) will never have a
> recordable dose.  Are they not radiation workers?  Do they not have to be
> trained?
>
> I think that radiation workers are anyone the licensee says are radiation
> workers.  The 100 mrem/y dose is only one of several guidelines that should
> be applied.
>
> K. Paul Steinmeyer
> kpstein@gyral.com

Paul,

While I don't disagree with you, I'll only state that the reference I
provided is what the NRC considers a radiation worker, and at what
extent, "must" they be provided training. 10CFR19.12 also states
that other factors also need to be be considered, if the individual
does not meet these requirements. The NRC only says that there
need not be any training. It doesn't mean that the facility can't
provide training. The reality is, if there is no dose, and there is
minimal potential to have a dose that exceeds these limits, how
much training does one need to provide? I hate to say this, but this
is the same correlation to LNT.. as to how much do we need to
spend when there in no measurable benefit to be gained?

The 100 mrem/yr is a projected exposure by the facility.If the
facility is only providing training because they are "required" to,
what kind of effort do they put into the program.  My personal
opinion is, if there is no dose, and the potential to receive dose, or
the potential to contaminate an area, that may affect others, is
minimal, why expend the training hours, when that effort should be
focused on areas that really do need the training, and other
assistance?