absence of proof

>"Congress can't really do science."

I think everyone is in agreement on this one, scientists and regulators
alike, but the process is inevitable.  I found interesting Laurie Taylor's
dismay when he saw the regulators coming, some decades ago (Organization for
Radiation Protection, don't have the exact citation); he felt that this
should rest in the hands of ICRP-type groups and never be handled by
politicians.  But California tried to pass state regs, it became clear that
national regs were needed to avoid nonuniformity, and, well, here we are.

Stabin
Brasil