Re: On-line Training Survey

The course would be very useful to help train both occupational exposed and non-occupational exposed personnel.

There is a description of a training module for high school students described in the HPS Newsletter for April 1999 (in the article by E. Theo Agard, Ph.D.) with backup information from the HPS Newsletter article in March 1998 by Dade Moeller.

Radiation Science, Educational Modules, Radiology Centennial, Inc. (Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co.)

>>> John Pickering <johnjp@email.sjsu.edu> 04/21 8:13 PM >>>
Greetings,

We have (finally) been approved to develop our one unit course on Radiation
Safety training into an on-line course. Currently the course is a minimum of
20 hours in fundamentals, general laboratory materials (mostly unsealed
materials) and supplimental materials (other areas such as sealed sources,
x-ray, etc.). It is NOT intended for Health Physics Technicians. It IS
intended for general laboratory workers (not Pu workers, etc.). It is
intended as the primary training and not the retraining. Although that may
come later if this is successful.

The course would involve registration and the normal fees associated with
any university. It will (most likely) have time limits to help move students
along to completion. I hope to make it available year round, but have
semester concepts to deals with in the infrastructure.

Questions for this group:

1. Would an on-line course be useful to your program. If so, can you give me
an idea of how many potential students you may be encouraging to take such a
course? This will help determine if the course is cost effective or do I
need to hire an assistant.

2. What do you want in it? I have a simple textbook developed, but I am open
to suggestions. I don't want to make a rocket scientist out of them.

3. I would like to use references from other sites for the learner to
explore and to learn more about specific subject areas. Do you have or know
of sites that I should consider as a part of the training? I would need the
URL addresses and possibly comments about the site if you could provide it
(an evaluation). Pictures, activities and other material would be great.

4. Is there anything else that I may not have covered?

I am shooting for the fall semester. I do have high goals. I just hope I can
achieve them. I am also writing the web page materials. If you have any
suggestions, send them to me.

John Pickering, RSO
San Jose State University
johnjp@email.sjsu.edu