No Subject

Good Afternoon, all;

I find the recent articles on cytoplasmic alpha exposure
very interesting,

One of the paradigms that I have always used was an
experiment that I read about ten years ago.  It may be
familiar to some of you; if so please post the citation
to the board.  I will summarize.  (By the way, I'm trying
to type this with a 1" thick post-surgery bandage on my
right index finger, so my typing is a bit below par right
now.  Please excuse any typos.)

The researcher took a number of wasp eggs.  In wasp eggs,
the nucleus is not centered in the cell; it is very close
to the end of the oval shaped cell.

The researcher placed the eggs with all nuclei facing
"up".  He then irradiated with alpha particles.  The
alpha range ensured that the nuclei were exposed.

He then took another batch and placed the nuclei "down".
He re-irradiated.  In this case, the alpha range in
tissue meant the cytoplasm was exposed, but the nucleus
was not.

He found that the cellular effects of the "nucleus up"
group was many times (X 100, if I recall) greater than
the "nucleus down" group.  Concluded that the nucleus was
the most highly radiosensitive location in the cell.

I don't think the fact that cytoplasmic exposure causing
nuclear damage is the key.  I think the key is more along
the lines of the dose differential (the "Q" if you will),
between nuclear exposure and cytoplasmic exposure.

Jim Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
Rocketdyne/Boeing