Re: Practical demonstration of a half-life

	Mark,

	Once upon a time - in a far, far away land,   I was speaking to a group of
2nd graders and ended up demonstrating the notion of half-life using a
"prop" which was already in their classroom.  I explained how P-32 had a
half life of 14 days and how it decayed to Sulfur, etc. etc....  I then
used an egg timer (the sand type) and
explained/suggested/showed/demonstrated that the phosphorus (sand) was
changing to sulfur (sand) as it (decayed and) passed through the narrow
orifice...  Same volume, same atoms, just different over time.  The egg
timer was even two different colors (top green, bottom red [until you
turned it over]). Hey - pretty crude, but I saw the little "light-bulbs" go
off in their heads... Of course, they wanted to know if we could change the
sulfur back to phosphorus which lead to a (very simplified) discussion
about other things nuclear.

	Hope this helps,

	Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
	SSC-SD